HistoryGrandview Golf Course began in 1902 as a nine-hole city course, designed by Warren Dickson. The course was redesigned and opened
as a 18 hole course in the spring of 1911. Course designers could not have foreseen the city growth on the east side and the
importance a nearby street would have on bringing travelers in and out of the city. The 1911 golf course had golfers driving
the ball across Hubbell Avenue to reach the 11th and 12th holes. As the popularity of traveling by automobile increased, Hubbell Avenue
proved to be one of Des Moines busiest streets. The road became part of one of the earliest transcontinental highways.
It was dangerous for golfers to cross the busy road, and drivers and their passengers
risked being struck by golf balls. By the 1920's, golfers asked the city to purchase
more land so that Grandview's golf course could be redesigned. The original 18
holes design also had players "shuttling" between fairways as golfers played out
on one fairway and back on another. The course had been created on just 78 acres,
and "shuttling" between fairways created hassles and hazardous conditions for
golfers. Grandview golfers again fought to expand the course. The park board
considered buying an 18-acre tract for $22,500 in 1931, but declared the land too pricey.
The plan was turned down again in 1932 as the $91,000 Birdland swimming pool
was created. Finally, in October 1933, the park board approved the purchase of the
18 acres immediately east of the golf course, but buying the tract would not be
easy. The council finally agreed in December 1933 to buy the land through a
15 year lease at a cost of $1,000 year. This "golden age" golf course is considered to
be a short course, but well protected by its tree lined fairways and domed like greens.